HCMC is a great place to shop till you drop. Especially if you're a great fan of silk, clothing and what not. Every city has its tricks to go about. Here are a few tips in HCMC:
- Always ride a taxi that uses meter to charge you. Recommended taxis are Vinasun Taxi *The White Cab* and MaiLinh *The Green Cab with a H. I heard that there's another company that uses the same name
MaiLin without H.*
- Where ever you go, bring a map with you. If possible, show the map to the driver with the name of the destination that you intended to go. Most taxi drivers doesn't speak or understand English. If you don't have a map, write down the place/street name on a piece of paper.
- The currency used here are US Dollar, VietnamDong and also Ringgit Malaysia. You can pay the taxi fare and food using VDong. Certain places accept USD.
- The rate is higher if you exchange RM to Vdong in Vietnam. There's a gold shop across Ben Thanh Dong Market as a money changer. I got VD 650,000 for RM 100.00 = USD32.2
- Always bargain when you're shopping in Ben Thanh Market. Bargain until the price is affordable.
- Try their local dish. It's delicious. I love their Laksa daging.
- Chu Chi Tunnel is a must place to visit.
Enjoy and have fun in HCMC. A place I wanted to go again in future.